Friday 17 February 2012

Form an orderly queue

I was intrigued to see a book review recently that referred to the author (British) as an "orderly" in a mental health secure unit. It is an account of his time in a service in the 1980's and is apparently a cracking read. My curiosity was aroused so I read the review a little closer to see who he was. As I read further I found he is also referred to as someone who had been "nursing" and doing so in his capacity as a "nursing assistant"! So now this poor fellow has had three tiltles foisted upon him and quite possibly only one he would have chosen for himself.
I guess its pretty obvious that the strap line containing the term "orderly" was considered more attention seeking and indeed a better fit for the tone of the book. Yet its so very unhelpful and to those in the "trade" an absolute howler of a mistake.But what effect was the copy write of the advert trying to gain?
When I hear the term I think of films such as "One flew over the cuckoos nest" (OFOTCN) and orderlies in white uniforms with bow ties and a penchant for coercive approaches. It leaves me cold and at the same time cross. I consider it a real distortion of what we do.The topic of OFOTCN will be a blog subject later on as i consider it a really damaging movie.
So the effect sought? Probably that of a spectre of locked rooms, secrets and howls of anguish.
Sorry to dissapoint the advertiser but the only howl of anguish was mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment