Saturday 11 February 2012

Orgone accumulator

"I've got an Orgone accumulator
and it makes me feel greater
its a one man isolator
made out of orgone"
So sang Robert Calvert on probably Hawkwind's greatest album "Space ritual" , and if you haven't heard it I thoroughly recommend it (in particular the original  fold out sleeve is an exercise in 70's excess)
But this was a song based on an actual device that you were supposed to sit inside and somehow it would not only isolate you but capture Orgones and do you good (sorry about the lack of precision here). I came to think about this song (which I really must place on my I Pod) when I was on one of my usual long commutes to London to do RCN business. I am always impressed how we as humans choose to not engage with each other. In fact I would argue we seem to live in fear of the "other". Opprtunities to isolate the self in a public and indeed crowded place are now more numerous than ever. I like most commuters/travellers on the long haul to London have in my possession an I Pod and a Kindle (and probably a Guardian as well), and like a lot of others I probably use my IPod to erase or exclude the sound of the "others" around me. There is something really strange about being party to private conversations in public places facilitated by mobile phones.
We travel forced by circumstance to be with strangers and isolate ourselves by means of technology.
I wonder is this isolation healthy?

No comments:

Post a Comment