Monday 3 June 2013

Mindfulness : an Eight week programme

I have been discussing recently the issue with colleagues of levels of morbidity amongst the nursing proffession. The RCN provides a excellent welfare service and the level of demand is rising year on year. I couldn't help wondering if there was more that could be offered or even done in order to try and adopt a more healthy approach to the stresses of life than all the usual coping mechanisms we may all use at some time.
My attention was drawn by various events to the work of John Kabat-Zin who like Lord Layard before him has caught the eye of the top level of Goverment. The approach of Mindfulness whilst drawn from Buddist meditation practice has been integrated into approaches such as Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and also Stress reduction. Well Ok you may say but isn't it all a bit West Coast USA?
Not really , apparently endorsed by  NICE , MBCT is recommended for people who have endured repeated episodes of depression.
So armed with such endorsements I have purchased the book Mindfulness by Mark Williams and Danny Penman and I am embarking on a 8 week course in Mindfulness practice.
First exercise involves eating Chocolate so should improve my journey home tonight
I'll keep you posted
Ian

No comments:

Post a Comment