Thursday 27 June 2013

Mindfulness :Week 2

So two weeks of mindfulness practice have gone by, and what a really interesting (to me) couple of weeks it has been. I am now firmly into week 3 and really enjoying it.
I think some of the major challenges have been carving out time and also reconsidering how I engage with everyday life.
It has been a challenge occasionally to undertake the meditation exercises and I have resorted to doing them on my early morning commute to London at times. But, the good news is that it can be done!
I have also reconsidered exactly what happens when I spend time just thinking. I always thought that the quiet time I enjoy in the early morning with a strong cup of Assam tea  was a moment of reflection and preparation for my day.
However, using the practice of mindfulness I can see that it was usually far from restful. It was characterised by planning, anticipating and at times ruminating over what may happen, what very probably would happen and at times what would rarely happen.Far from restful and at times quite exhausting and also pointless. So what difference can mindfulness make?
Perhaps I can give you an example of yesterdays journey to a CQC meeting in London.
My train was cancelled, then the next train was delayed.In fairness this is a rare occurrence for me but still a frustrating start and I hate being late to a meeting.
I then got onto Paddington underground station and had to wait for a Circle line train.
However, as time went on I stepped to the open sun filled end of the platform stood in the sunshine, closed my eyes and mindfully focussed on my breathing. I may have spent only a minute or two, but I felt the sun and noted the sensations coming through my feet and just stayed in the moment.
It was not only a quick destressor but a very pleasurable moment. No real requirement other than to place into practice what I have been learning.
I hope that such occurrences of using what I am learning will continue to present themselves. I wonder if you would find such means of managing everyday issues helpful to?

No comments:

Post a Comment